House Bill 235 goes to the House floor TODAY, 3/10, at 1:00pm. All House members will be voting on this bill. Take Action NOW!
Food insecurity in Montana is projected to increase by nearly 30% as a result of COVID, with more than 141,000 Montanans at risk of hunger. SNAP helps many families make ends meet, but affording healthy food can still be difficult. Incentives such as Double SNAP Dollars help to stretch limited food budgets and make healthy, local food more affordable.
HB235 provides $95,000 in state funding (over two years) to expand access to Montana’s Double SNAP Dollars program.
- What is Double SNAP Dollars (DSD)?
- DSD is a nutrition incentive program that provides a dollar-for-dollar match (up to $20/day) for SNAP customers to spend on local produce
- DSD is currently offered at 23 Montana farmers markets, 2 Community Supported Agriculture (farm share) programs, and 1 retail grocery store across 13 Montana counties
- SNAP customers have spent $500,000 on local foods through DSD since 2015, directly supporting Montana farmers
Why do we need state investment?
- State investment would provide stability for current DSD sites and allow the program to grow to new communities and retailers
- Increased access to DSD means improved food security and health outcomes for families in need, and increased revenue for Montana farmers. Find our DSD Fact Sheet Here.
HB235 is a win for our families, farmers and economy. Email your Representative today to ask them to support this bill — click here!